Paul Cummins | Blood Swept Lands and Seas of Red
The Tower Of London has marked the 100th anniversary of the outbreak of the First World War with a striking art installation. Blood Swept Lands and Seas of Red by Paul Cummins features thousands of ceramic poppies pouring out of the tower flowing into the moat and will officially be unveiled on August 5. The final poppy will be planted on November 11. There will be a total of 888,246 poppies planted, with each flower representing a British military fatality from WWI.
Stempunk Merman (“Kelp”) for Fantasy Con 2014
- 2nd costume I’ve ever made
- Entirely my own concept/design
- Won the Beginner/Novice category of Fantasy Con’s Creator’s Contest
- ~4 almost non-stop months of work and hundreds of dollars of materials
- All store-bought items were drastically altered (boots, backpack, various parts of the tanks, gloves, respirator mask)
- The backpack is able to be entirely disassembled, is lit by battery-powered LED’s, and one of the tanks is filled with water and bubbles thanks to a battery-powered bubbler
- What are you supposed to be? In the spring of 2013 I realized I had no costume for that year’s Steamfest convention, which revolves around the Steampunk style of costuming. After some brainstorming with my friends I decided I wanted to do a unique steampunk costume of a mer-creature come onto land. His name is Kelp, and he needs the wetsuit and tanks to breathe out of the water.
- Did you make the bodysuit/what’s on the bodysuit? I sewed the whole bodysuit myself, with fitting help from my amazing roommate. The fabric you see on the bodysuit is a sequined fabric that changes from shiny blue/green to matte gray when you run your hand over it. It was a pre-made fabric that I appliquéd onto the bodysuit. The surrounding sparkles are rhinestones that I glued onto the suit to make it look more cohesive.
- Can you breathe in that mask/how do you talk? Yes, I can breathe, though it does put some pressure on my nose so I sound nasally. I set up a microphone inside the mask, which hooks into the speaker on my right-hand side of the tank, so people could hear what I was saying while I was wearing the costume.
- Isn’t that backpack heavy? Yup! I haven’t put it on a scale but I’d guestimate it’s ~40-50lbs, especially with the water inside the tank.
- How did you make….? See this post for a complete breakdown of the costume, as well as a better (though not updated) picture of my backpack tank.
- You have a good figure/any other comment on my body… Thanks, but this costume isn’t about my body. Under the bodysuit I have a pair of spanks that I customized to take the curve out of my waist, and a binder on as well as a headscarf to disguise my “figure” entirely. Kelp is not female; and perhaps not even male. That is part of the mystery of the character. When I cosplay my goal is to be virtually unrecognizable, and to not rely on the features I was born with to make my costume.
Okay, so Fantasy Con was overall 3/5 stars, but hey, the theme was Fantasy and this costume fit right in. I really enjoyed the opportunity to enter a contest that was all about fantasy and (to some extent) original costume designs, and despite the (many, many) problems the contest had, it was a good first experience! I walked away not only with an award, but way more friendships and connections than I walked in with.
Once again, here’s the first post I made about this costume last year when it had been first created/debuted. I fixed a lot between that time and now, and there’s still more to tweak and make even closer to the vision in my head. Thanks for taking a look!!! Questions? Just ask! <3
YOU DO NOT NEED TO BE FOLLOWING ME.
REBLOG AS MANY TIMES AS YOU WISH.
FEEL FREE TO ASK QUESTIONS!
IF YOU DO NOT WISH FOR A DRESS! That is a-okay! I will pay for a cosplay of your liking as long as it’s under 200 USD! You will still receive a headband, tea (of your liking) and a tea set!
If you would like a closer look at the sites that I’ll be purchasing from!
GIVEAWAY WILL END AUGUST 1ST! IF YOU ARE UNDER 18 I MUST HAVE SOME FORM OF PERMISSION FROM YOUR GUARDIAN(S)!
The desired dress of choice will take awhile to make so please keep that in mind! Thank you!
Photoset reblogged from with 778 notes
Photos : Dominique Secher
It’s worked for white people, I figured I might as well give it a shot.
GET THIS GUY TO DISNEY WORLD DAMN IT
I want you to go man!
if this was a white girl this would have had the notes 3 weeks ago
People are sending him racist messages telling him it’s not gonna happen and he doesn’t belong in Disney World over this post. So we’re gonna reblog it even more.
I resisted as long as I could, but I really want this kid to go to Disney World.
Why, you ask, would any lady of the Neath require a parasol? Oh, you poor fool.
Game of Thrones Season 4 + Costume Porn
My 1860s inspired Steampunk Ballgown is finished. Grey pinstripe cotton, light brown silk, dark brown trim and grey satin ribbon lacing in the back. The bodice is reinforced with coutil and steel boning and it is lined with ivory cotton.
I also made a matching hair decoration with a pearl cabochon, brass chains and a large vintage ostrich plume.
Oh my god what if you wake up some day and you’re 65 or 75 and you never got your memoir or novel written or you didn’t go swimming in warm pools and oceans all those years because your thighs were jiggly and you had a nice big comfortable tummy or you were just so strung out on perfectionism and people-pleasing that you forgot to have a big juicy creative life of imagination and radical silliness and staring off into space like when you were a kid? It’s going to break your heart. Don’t let this happen.
Photoset reblogged from with 1,315 notes
Page 1 of 7